- Samsung infringed six Apple patents (three utility, three design).
- Apple’s patents were not invalid.
- In most cases, Samsung’s infringement was willful.
- Samsung found liable for trade dress infringement but not for breach of contract or antitrust claims.
- Apple’s damages for patent infringement and trade dress dilution combined was $1,049,343,540. (Apple sought damages of $2.5 to 2.75 billion.)
- Apple did not infringe six Samsung patents. (Samsung sought $421 million for alleged infringement.)
- None of Samsung’s five patents were invalid, but two were unenforceable due to exhaustion.
- Hearing on permanent injunction is currently set for September 20, 2012 but is subject to change.
Monday, August 27, 2012
Apple Obtains $1 Billion Verdict Against Samsung
After a four-week trial and three days of deliberation, a jury in the Northern District of California returned a verdict last Friday afternoon in favor of Apple and against Samsung. Highlights include: